Saturday, January 16, 2016

Fondway Cafe

4462 Beresford St. Burnaby



I'm a coffee addict... So I'm always on the search for a good coffee shop. Someday I hope to find my "Central Perk" :)

I'm not a big fan of chain coffee shops - I love places with character, that are cosy and unique. One of the great things about Vancouver is that there is no shortage of spots to get your caffeine fix. There seems to be a Starbucks, Tim Hortons, or Waves on every corner but dotted about the place there are bean-roasting gems.






Myself and Brewji went on a coffee date the other afternoon to Fondway Cafe. It's on Beresford St. across from Metrotown. This is their new location - they were previously in Crystal Mall.


Menu Board @ Fondway Cafe
Burnaby, BC
Photo: Totally Tammy

The decor is amazing, a retro, steam-punk design that's warm and inviting. Lots of quirky bits and pieces about the place: step ladders, metal baskets for holding your handbag etc, ceramic owls, a wall of tea tins...  the list could go on. They have two long, wooden, communal tables with stylish metal legs, and a few single unique tables. The one we sat at, at the back of the cafe, was a pile of retro-looking colourful travelling cases and we had a small sofa and armchair. It was really cosy. The lights hang from the high ceiling with the bulbs encased in mason jars.


Wall of tea @ Fondway Cafe
Burnaby, BC
Photo: Totally Tammy

Their menu is written on a chalk board and they have a good variety of drinks. They don't brew a pot of coffee, you either have to get an Americano (which I had) or a pour-over which is $4.50. When the guy behind the till finally acknowledged me, I asked what they had as dairy-free options (myself and Brewji are both lactose intolerant) he didn't know what I meant, so I asked if they had Soy or Almond milk. He looked at me like I had two heads, and told me they only have real milk. I can honestly say that I was not impressed. They are in Vancouver, how can they not stock alternative milk options?


Pour-over station @ Fondway Cafe
Burnaby, BC
Photo: Totally Tammy

Brewji got the cold brew coffee which is infused with nitrogen gas to create a creamy, stout-like effect. It was delicious... Really damn delicious. It was so smooth and silky, and you could really taste the fruity notes of the coffee bean.


Hot Americano and Cold Brew @ Fondway Cafe
Burnaby, BC
Photo: Totally Tammy 

I had an Americano which was decent, a nice warm cup of coffee that I didn't have to put sugar or honey in to cover any arid bitter taste. Always a win in my mind!

With their decor, design, and drinks it seems like they want to be a "Hipster Coffee Shop" but they are falling just short of the line.

Overall I think it's a nice little spot, perhaps a little on the pricey side, but you get a decent cuppa and it's a nice place to sit and chill. I will definitely be back for a Cold Brew.

The Fondway Cafe gets a 6.5 / 10.


No comments:

Post a Comment